Need to be something other than available?
What is presence?
Presence is an indicator to your colleagues and to Cradle of your state of availability. It helps other team members know whether you're able to take a call or not. Cradle has four states of presence:
- Available - I can take a call
- Away - I might be able to take a calls, but I'm working on something else or I'm away from my desk right now
- Busy - I can't take a call because I'm on another one, in a meeting, etc
- Offline - I am not working today and can't take a call
Setting your Presence
To set your presence, click on Settings and then click on your Ghost or profile picture. Choose your desired state.
- You're automatically set to Busy when you're on a call. You won't receive incoming calls.
- Whenever you come off a call, you automatically return to Available.
- By default, you will be set to Away after two minutes of no activity on your computer. You can change this time on the settings selection page. We recommend keeping this setting unless you have specific reason not to, as in our experience, people who are automatically away are 10 times less likely to answer a call!
- When you shut down the app, your computer, or you lose internet, we will automatically set you to be offline.
Manually Set Options
- If you manually set yourself to Away and you're high priority in a Role you will automatically be pushed lower down the priority list. Calls will go to people listed as Available first even if they are normally below you in priority.
- If you're going on annual leave, we recommend setting your status to Offline, closing the app, and enjoying your break!
What happens to presence in different scenarios?
Presence while using just Cradle for your computer
While just using Cradle on your computer, you have full control over whether or not your presence changes automatically. Your settings are set as shown in the image above. It's best practice to get into the habit of either quitting the app, or setting yourself to Offline when finishing for the day (or going on leave) to ensure that you're taken out of any call roles and routes.
When you open the program back up again, you'll be automatically set to Available and be ready to take some calls.
It's also a good idea to get into the habit of manually set yourself to Away or Busy respectively so that your colleagues know your availability. The automatic settings above have got your back if you forget!
Presence while using just Cradle for iOS or Android
The presence on our mobile apps isn't quite as smart as Cradle for your computer. You will need to manually set yourself into each presence as you see fit. At the end of your day (or going on leave) you will need to manually set your presence to Offline as it's not enough to just quit the app. Keep in mind that if you then make a call using Cradle, you'll be set to Available again so a reminder to set yourself back to Offline if you don't want to get a call!
You will still be set to Busy while on a call, so your colleagues will be able to see that. Aside from this, you'll need to be vigilant with setting your own presence on mobile.
Presence while using both Cradle for your computer and Cradle for iOS/Android
Presence is primarily set by Cradle for your computer in this scenario. Cradle on your mobile device will be set to reflect what is currently on your computer. If you set yourself to Offline or quit the program on your computer, you'll be Offline on your mobile as well. The same rules as above apply though, if you then make a call on your mobile with Cradle you will be set to Available.
The only time Cradle on your mobile will overwrite your presence that is set by your computer is if you're using Smart Presence which is detailed above as well.
It's important to understand that if you have Automatically set me to away set on your computer, this will also change your presence to Away on your mobile when your computer detects that. The same goes for any of the Offline detection! It is a good idea to remain vigilant with this if you're often away from your desk, but still needing to take calls with Cradle on your mobile.
If you primarily use mobile (iOS or Android)
If you use both Cradle Desktop and one of our mobile apps, and you always want to stay available on your mobile, we recommend turning off the automatic functions on the desktop app. To do this, click on Settings (⚙) > Presence (click on your name), and then uncheck Offline Detection Enabled, and set the slider for Automatically set me to away after: to Never.